I went elderflower picking with my lovely friend Jenny on the weekend and thanks to her I now know what an elderflower looks like in the flesh so to speak!! and incidentally I have been spotting them everywhere I go since then!! Lol. We had much fun with a walking stick, a carrier bag and a pair of scissors and ended up finding bits of elderflower everywhere!!
I got home and immediately had to zoom back to Asda for some ingredients I had run out of then onto Tescos as Asda’s did not stock citric acid grr…. (Tescos Pharmacy and most pharmacies stock this by the way!!)
I then decided to elaborate on the recipe I found as I only bought 50g of the stupid citric acid and the recipe I found said 75g OOPS!!! Mental note should read things properly!!! But as it turned out the elderflower cordial is now happily sitting in my fridge and tastes phenomenal!!
3 litres of water
1.5 kg of sugar
50g citric acid
and about 30-40 elderflower heads shaken to ensure there are no bugs!! oh yes and dropped a few times by me because of my inexpert catching!!
1. Boil water and add the sugar
2. Stir until all the sugar disolves, then remove from heat.
3. Slice 4 lemons and add to the syrup
4. Add elderflower heads and stir so they are all drowned appropriately!
5. Stir in 50g of citric acid
6. Cover and leave for 24 hours to cool and steep
7. Bottle and refridgerate or store in a cool place.
8. Drink preferably ice cold. Dilute as you would a normal cordial or squash though or you may have a nasty sweet surprise!!!